TextMate, a versatile plain-text editor with an innovative feature set, won an Apple Design Award for Best Mac OS X Developer Tools in August 2006.
There are more than 100 different modes that have been created by a rapidly growing community. They include support for all major programming languages, writing prose using structured formats like LaTeX, Markdown and Textile, blogging, running SQL queries and writing screen plays.
Some of the features include:
- Collapsible text blocks - Fold away any code you don't wish to see
- Recordable macros - You don't need to write a script in order to automate tedious tasks
- A CSS-inspired selector system that allows preferences and more to apply to subsets in your document. You want to return to different things inside comments? You may also want spell-checking enabled for your strings using C++. Both can be done in seconds.
- Snippets that can be accessed via tabs, and which allow you to live transform the text you type.
- Column operations - TextMate will allow you to edit your code more easily if you align it well!
- Amazing shell integration - TextMate is here for you to learn all about the OS X UNIX underneathpinnings!
You can view a gallery of screencasts that showcase more features at macromates.