PsychoPy allows you to run a wide variety of experiments in the behavioral sciences (neurosciences, psychology, psychophysics and linguistics ...) This package is free and cross-platform. It is a community project. All source code is available to users. Users are the developers. Users support one another
We are strong supporters of open-source and Open Science. We will encourage and facilitate it wherever we can.
It's easy enough to teach
PsychoPy is used by universities around the world to teach students about experiments.
- You can create a wide range of studies with the intuitive Builder interface
- Textbooks suitable for professional and undergraduate audiences
- There are many other resources available for teaching and learning, such as Youtube tutorials, online tutorials, and workshops
- You can access the Pavlovia repository for shared experiments directly from the application (requires PsychologyPy3) to search and share your studies
For psychophysics, it is sufficient to be precise
Hardware-accelerated graphics, best in class timing, and calibration instruments built in
- Amazing timing precision (see the timing megastudy for comparisons).
- Time to update your stimuli on every screen refresh!
- Tools to monitor calibration and a wide range of units
- Hardware-accelerated graphics for stimuli that are easily updated on the fly
- Access to button boxes when you require the highest precision
- Automated logging for you to see what happened and when
- OpenGL (and shaders), are ready to be used when you have low-level graphics access
Flexible enough to handle everything else
PsychoPy is great at:
- Dynamic, interactive studies: Get rid of static stimuli! Every screen refresh can allow you to update your stimulus interactively!
- Neuroimaging: Send and Receive Triggers to Your Hardware at Exactly the Right Times
- Eye-tracking: Access a wide range of hardware (eyetrackers, button boxes and trigger systems ...)).
You can conduct your study online, so that users can access it from anywhere.
PsychoPy3 added the facility to run studies online using a high-performance, hardware-accelerated, port of the PsychoPy Python library
- Export your Builder experiment to a webpage
- PsychoPy is the only package that has a reaction time precision of less than 4 ms online.
- Just like on the desktop, update your stimulus for every frame!
- Send it to Pavlovia.org (using the easy tools in the PsychoPy app).
- Give participants your URL so they can access your study from their browsers!
- You can recruit participants using Sona or Prolific, Mechanical Turk, or similar systems